Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A KAHLO BY MCKEAN KIND OF DAY


It is so lovely outside today I can hardly stand it. And feel a bit freaky-tweaky like Dave McKean and crazy/wild like Frieda. So I found a combo of the two.
Couldn't we all be like either of these scrarily creative folks?
I remember a day like today when I was in a home ec class in high school. The elderly (my age now) teacher was droning on about something: sewing or cooking or some such womanly subject so uninteresting I can't even remember it.
The day outside was perfect like today and I thought why can't we go outside and sit on the grass while she talks? Why am I in here in the first place? Why don't I just get up and walk out and create a life for myself?

And today I'm thinking the same thing, forty years later. Instead of going home after eight hours of incarceration and trying to create in the meager three or four hours left to me, why aren't I working three or four hours and creating eight hours of the day?
Coward? Pragmatist? Realist? Whiner?
One of my favorite creators has a blog called Cally Creates: http://callycreates.blogspot.com/
I found her through art for housewives, my other daily creative dose: http://housewife.splinder.com/
And there are other, so many others.
Here's the rub: The more you explore what others are doing, the less you do yourself. Just as reading makes you feel as if you've been writing. But you haven't been writing; you've been passively reading. Better than passively watching TV or movies, but still not creating.

No comments: