Sunday, March 05, 2006

LONG TIME, NO BLOG

Soooo busy and then 2-3 weeks off for Family Medical Leave. The past week has been heaven. I spent one whole day sitting on my couch, listening to a book on tape, knitting. Otherwise, I ran errands, helped my son and daughter-in-law prepare for the new baby, and took my granddaughter every other night. Each time I brought her home the next morning, she would search for her baby brother in her mommy's bed and then see her mommy's stomach was still huge. I don't think she believes this is ever really going to happen.

But, tomorrow is Baby Evan's birthday (after a couple of false alarms earlier this week). I've nearly finished the Big Blue Blankie, but not quite yet.















I'll be spending a lot of time at the hospital tomorrow before, during, and after the Caesarian. The obstetrician stated that with a baby as big as this one, my petite daughter-in-law Charito and baby would have a 20% chance of survival with a natural childbirth.

We have to remember that the Good Old Days often saw childbirth deaths of both mother and baby. I'm all for natural childbirth, but there are times when I'd rather err on the side of caution. My own son's birth should have been Caesarian, and after a forceps delivery, my bladder was ruptured and required major surgery the following day.

I bought 1,000 stickers for my granddaughter, who has been an emotional Jekyll and Hyde this week. She always relaxes and zones out while peeling off stickers one by one and carefully placing them in groups on paper. We each have our different therapies and can bring them to the hospital with us.

Last Thursday, I met with two friends for lunch at Garibaldi's on College.


These are ladies I worked with back when Reagan was Governor of California. They both stuck with Civil Service careers and are both now retired. I am so jealous (especially after last week off), I can hardly stand it.

We all lost touch and then one morning, Sandra (the lady on the right) walked into my office for a meeting. We hadn't been in contact for about 30 years. Now she, Mary (the lady on the left) and I try to get together for luncheons.


One of the owners of Garibaldi's, Ann, is another friend:


All of these ladies are wonderful people with their own stories and I feel very lucky to know them as friends.











Today, Sunday, is freezing cold and so windy, what tiles remain on my roof are blowing off, I'm sure. Reminds me of the cold in Skye:





but without the clean, sweet air.

No comments: